Presentations from our Better Communities through Building Improvements Workshop
A recording of the five fascinating (if we say so ourselves!) short presentations from our Better Communities through Building Improvements Workshop of 2nd October 23 is now available, below and on our YouTube channel. The slides themselves (as spoken to in the video, but also including slides about BANZAI’s group) are available to download from this folder.
The online event was intended to help inform and encourage people thinking of looking for, or helping create, a community group in which to work collaboratively on building retrofit and improvement.
1) An overview of the Edinburgh Building Retrofit and Improvement Collective principles, theory of change, history so far and direction of ongoing development (Aythan Lewes, Chair of EdinBRIC) 0:13 – 11:12
2) Setting up an Owners Association for a tenement in Leith, with some handy tips to move things along. (Joanne McClelland, Flat owner in Kirk St, Leith and Co-Director of EALA Impacts CIC) 12:03 – 23:20 3
3) Creating a neighbourhood improvement group, work plan and joint planning application for a community with a common building style (Oliver Woodruff, The Dudleys Home and Building Improvement Group, Trinity). NB: The slides are also available to view 23:54 – 34:05
4) Starting a street-level and wider community climate action group and exploring options for building retrofit and improvement action at different levels (Mick Patrick, BANZAI – Bruntsfield Area Net Zero Action Initiative, Home Energy and Retrofit group). 34:42 – 48:54
5) Bringing a community together through the creation of a Development Trust and investing time in Community Engagement and Building (Justin Kenrick, Action Porty, Portobello) 49:10 – 54:06